Friday, June 27, 2008

"A word fitly spoken . . .


. . . is like apples of gold in pictures of silver." Proverbs 25:11


Have you ever been so utterly exhausted and discouraged you literally think you cannot put one foot in front of the other? That is how I felt today. My poor back went from bad to worse yesterday afternoon with my house still in packing shambles. I had to call my mom to come until Dan got home because I could barely move much less lift Danica. I had logged off from work feeling guilty I left things undone but knowing I had reached my limit. I had to to turn my attention to getting us moved. And then as I lifted a basket of magazines, SNAP! "You're kidding, right? Are you sure? Really?" (This is my first instinctual questioning cry to God!)

Today on Motrin and Vicodin I felt like I was constantly working but making no real headway. Every movement was painful. My OCD was making me feel like I was going to throw up because my space was so disorganized. (Or maybe it was the narcotics mixed with the adrenalin pushing me through the pain and towards my goal.) I kept telling myself I could pack one more box and then I would rest, but the rest did not come. By 5:30pm Dan and I had taken the girls to my mom's house and were on our way to get the UHAUL and then get the keys to the new house. I felt like I would jump out of my skin sitting there. My back and neck continued to spasm. I prayed as we drove. I wasn't praying for relief from physical pain as much as some kind of peace for the anxiety I had been carrying all day.

When we walked into the kitchen of the new house there was a letter addressed to me on the counter. My first piece of mail welcoming me home. (Perhaps someday I will write about my love affair with the US Postal Service, stationary, and a hand written letter stamped and addressed. There is no substitue for a real letter arriving in your mail box!) This letter was from my sister's friend. A woman I have never physically met, but I feel like I know her heart. As we settled back into the car I read her words and they were "like apples of gold in pictures of silver" to my tired soul. The timing of her letter was impeccable in God's infinite wisdom. He knew it was lying there waiting to answer the prayer I lifted to Him just moments before.

Thank you so much for the generosity of this sister and friend to share all you've given her with me. I praise you for anticipating my need and answering in such a blessed way. I pray you will bless her a hundredfold for the sacrifices she has made to take up the cross and follow you. Please grant her and her family the child they are longing for. Thank you for words fitly spoken and the shining fruit they bear.

No comments: