Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Living with Purpose, Even Today

How is it possible to do everything to the glory of God? By doing everything as if you were doing it for Jesus and by carrying on a continual conversation with him while you do it. The Bible says, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men."

This is the secret of a lifestyle of worship -- doing everything as if you were doing it for Jesus. The Message paraphrase says, "Take your everyday, ordinary life -- your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around-life -- and place it before God as an offering." Work becomes worship when you dedicate it to God and perform it with an awareness of his presence. -- P.67 The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren

Today I woke with my head and heart spinning. My job has become too much. With political races in full swing my work load has suddenly exploded. Under ordinary circumstances I know I would somehow get it all done, but in the midst of this extra work I am moving in 2 days. I also injured my back and so doing any sitting or standing or lifting is very painful. I feel scattered in purpose. I have no choice but to work, but is my sacrifice financially to work at home and be with my children really worth it if I am merely shoving them to the side while I sit here on my laptop in their presence but not PRESENT? Should I go back to a professional position with more money and put Danica in daycare? Is this really what God wants me to be doing?


While a list is processing I check in with my blogger friend, Ann, at her post from today Living in His Heart and I get the answer I have been praying for all morning. With tears streaming down my face I am reminded God is here in the midst of my chaos. I am doing exactly what He has called me to do for this day. No one else may notice my little life amidst the piles of boxes and crying children and aching back, but He is honored by my diligent work and heart seeking to know His will.

Thank you for the purpose You give my life, even today. Please help me to keep my eyes fixed on You through the next few days as I move my family to a new home again. Give me the physical and emotional strength I need. I am so grateful that wherever I am there You are too.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Oh, friend. I so wish I could be there to help carry your burdens. Wouldn't the two of us be a sight with our heavy loads! :) I am praying for you, and I am thankful for Ann's blog pointing to Christ and bringing answers and EXHALES that you need. I love you immeasurably!